What is a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)?
An infection in any part of urinary system, but primarily in the lower urinary
tract — the bladder and urethra
Who is at risk for a UTI?
- Women are at greater risk than men
- Sexually active women have more UTIs than those who aren’t sexually
- Women who are in menopause, because of estrogen changes
What are symptoms of UTI?
- Strong urge to urinate
- Burning sensation when urinating
- Urine that is cloudy or strong smelling
- Pelvic pain and/or pain with urination
From the Doctor:
“UTIs can be painful and annoying and can lead to complications in the kidneys
if left untreated,” said Dr. Ayo Avworo, principal investigator at CTT.